Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New York City ~ Day 1



I left for New York City via Amtrak train from Baltimore. The ride was 2 hours and 45 minutes long to Penn Station. Not bad for a relaxing start to my weekend trip with some of my family. We were celebrating my mom's 75th birthday a few months early with a trip to New York. My mom came through Ellis Island when she was 2 1/2 years old, and we wanted to visit the places she first encountered in America with her.


The Quiet Car: not supposed to make noise.
Me on the train















When I arrived I took the subway to Columbus Circle where our hotel, The Hudson, was located.

Globe near Columbus Circle

I was the first one to arrive and had some time to kill, so I walked through the Guggenheim Museum, took a bus to mid Central Park, and then walked back to the hotel.


The Guggenheim Museum

Also arriving were my sisters Cheryl and Lorri, along with Lorri’s husband Chris and Cheryl’s daughter Erika. My mom and dad also came from Florida for an extended weekend in New York. 


My sister Cheryl and her daughter Erika

When everyone finally arrived we all met up for lunch at Bouchon bakery in the Shops at Columbus Circle. 

After lunch we all walked around Central Park and Chris, Lorri, Mom, and Dad took bicycle rick-shaws around park.

My mom and dad on the left and my sister Lorri and
her husband Chris getting ready to ride through
Central Park. 

Dad played at chess. Cheryl, Carolyn, and Erika walked to Bethesda fountain, saw Asian brides, tiles, fountains, bridges, and turtles.


Looking at boaters through the bridge
Me at the fountain.




















We dined at Sarafinas, an Italian restaurant, and had a very nice Polish waitress. We walked to Broadway where Cheryl met Elmo. 

My sister Cheryl with Elmo

We saw the Lion King which was absolutely wonderful, and afterward some took cabs while others walked back to the hotel.

Rafiki from the Lion King



















Carolyn "Care Bear" King

1 comment: