Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jeff Daniels at the Weinberg Center

Tonight I'm going to see Jeff Daniels in concert. You don't normally think of a movie star as a singer/songwriter, but I understand Daniels has been quite prolific in the songwriting business. Thanks to some friends we know from church we were offered free tickets for tonight's performance at the Weinberg Center in Frederick, Maryland. It's been a long time since I've gone out to a concert, so I'm looking forward to a night on the town with my husband and dinner after with a few friends. I'll let you know what I think!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we saw him Saturday night and it was definitely a fun show. Jeff Daniels, sporting a scruffy beard and a brown fedora hat, mixed story telling and comedy with events from his personal life and movie-making experiences to sing songs that kept us entertained all evening. He sort of reminded me of Harry Chapin and his folk rock songs like Taxi and Cats in the Cradle. Daniels had a song in honor of the movie he played in with Clint Eastwood called the Dirty Harry Blues. Another song spoke of the memory of his Grandfather's Hat. He told a story and shared a number inspired by the first car he ever drove remembering his old man's Blue Valiant. There were songs about road rage and stories about leaving behind his wife at a gas station while driving the family's rented RV. Later he spoke about when his daughter was learning to drive and she asked him to write a song about her. A not-so-flattering tune talked about her wild, lead-footed, driving and how she learned everything she did from watching her dad. He called up a few members of the audience at times to help him blow a wooden train whistle or dance a shuffle on stage while the crowd kept time with their clapping and laughter. We had an enjoyable night and later had some coffee with our friends Bob and Lynda. It's been a long time since I stayed out past midnight, and I think I'll be recovering Sunday afternoon with a nice nap.

Carolyn "Care Bear" King

No comments:

Post a Comment