Friday, February 25, 2011

#1 Free-Motion


Well, I tried my hand at my first ever free-motion quilting. There is definitely room for improvement, but I'm rather please with my "stab." I quilted around the bodies of each crab, did a meandering over the blocks closest to the crabs (looks a little like coral), spiraled a wave in the light blue border, and tried my first feathers in the big blue border. I used a variegated blue thread for the top and the bottom, and I think the back turned out equally as interesting. I'm not the neatest person, but they always say, "Practice, practice, practice."



My backing uses a little bit of some of the fabrics from the front.


I tried a machine binding this time and really like how it turned out. I only had to go over two small areas where I missed catching the fabric on the back side. I sewed the binding on the front side of the quilt and then I pinned the binding to the back just covering my stitching. I pinned every two inches or so. From the front side I stitched-in-the-ditch for the result below.


Here is the back of the binded quilt before adding a sleeve and label.


Below are the sleeves I added to hang the quilt. I divided a sleeve in two so a nail could be used in the center or the two sides.


Here is my label I created on my printer using a June Tailor Iron-On Quilt Fabric Sheet. I blocked out the recipient's name for the photo.


And here is the quilt hanging on some storage shelves in my basement. Not a pretty background, but you get the idea.



Carolyn "Care Bear" King

No comments:

Post a Comment